Moved - what can be done about this

Phill64

Programming Experience
3-5
Ok,

nobody can stop a n00b posting in the wrong forum, but when i came to this forum i was surprised to see pages full of "Moved" threads (at least in the general vb.net forum)

Good job the mods are doing shifting these around, however.. when there are so many, it really makes for inconvinience when im looking for threads to answer. Can these "Moved" notices dissapear after a day of being moved, or only appear for those who have posted i nthat thread? or perhaps can we get a display option whether we want to see these or not.

This is a major problem that makes me spend most my time on other forums, rather than this one.. That and no rating system :p but that's another issue i am not going to complain about.

So is this something you think is worth dealing with?

EDIT NOTE: aaaahhh i just realised you seem to have TWO VB.NET General forums, which are infact DIFFERENT, is that where all these threads are bing moved to? that's not good at all, one should be a link to the other.

ahha, nevermind about the two forum bit, just my bad eyes, first one is VS not VB. VS is the one with all the "Moved" threads anyhow

there are two forums, VS and VB

however many people will post VB specific questions in the VS forum which is why so many threads get moved

when a thread is moved, a "marker" is left in the original forum so the creater of the thread knows where it got moved to (so he/she knows it didn't get deleted)

Ultimatly, yes this is a problem, though there isn't a good way to get people to stop posting in the wrong forum

The problem is mainly one of laziness and then of confusion. The description of the VS.NET General forum sounds OK so many just post there as the first "suitable" forum without even looking further down the list or actually thinking about the actual subject of their question. Many who do take the time to think are then confused by the number of forums offered, so they figure they'll stick with the safe bet. You'd think that the number of moved threads would be a tip-off but apperently not. I've PMed Neal on this subject. I think the number and variety of forums needs to be reduced. I'd suggest that the Announcments could stay, but then the first forum should be Windows Forms as that is what the largest number of questions would relate to I think. Then would come Web Forms, Data Access, IDE, Networking, etc. Fewer subjects that are more general but more clearly delineated from each other than the current system.

well "VS.NET General Discussion" and "VB.NET General Discussion" confused me! it's only a 1 letter difference, it should say "Visual Studio General Discussion" or "General Visual Studio .NET"

anyway to make it different to the vb one, id say alot of people are actually misreading it as VB, as i was, and thats why they are starting vb threads there.

my suggestion would be have it be something like:

VB
Compact Framework
VS
ASP
etc...

this way VB is listed first, and VS is not right above or directly below the other

if the forum software would automatically send a move notice to the user, then the moderator can select the Move (and dont leave a redirect in the previous forum) option..

as it is, the mod would have to PM the user saying their thread got moved.

That said, if the user has subscribed to email responses, they will get emails even if their thread is moved, and are less likely to come back asking why their thread was deleted (but sadly they wont notice it was moved and hence realise their mistake)

rock} {hard place

Back