Question Move files under Vista/Win7

alexus

Programming Experience
1-3
hey all
I have good working application on XP, but once I installed it on Win 7 i gor prroblems moving file from one directory to anopther.

My aaplication hass DLL plugin in it that has to be moved to System directory so I can tallk to other apps through it. On XP this works fine but on Win 7 and Vista im getting Access Denied when I try to move the file.

Can some one help me out here?

Tnx!

Moving files into and out of system folders is usually restricted to installers, how are you deploying your app right now?

I use default VS isntaller (not oneclick though) the one that goes as separate project. I can move code to isntaller but i do not know how to add custom code to the installer?

I will need to do few logical calculations to determine where to move the file and if file should be moved there at all + i have to ask user where to put graphics associated with the file.

Alexus,

Have you attempted to install this application through compatibility mode or install it within XP Mode? If you have Windows 7 Professional or above and hardware that supports Virtualization Technology you may want to consider XP Mode and Virtual PC.

To learn more about XP Mode please see the following link: Download Windows XP Mode

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

I use default VS isntaller (not oneclick though) the one that goes as separate project. I can move code to isntaller but i do not know how to add custom code to the installer?

I will need to do few logical calculations to determine where to move the file and if file should be moved there at all + i have to ask user where to put graphics associated with the file.
Sorry for not getting back to this as fast, but I think you can specify "Conditions" in the MSI project that will configure the installer to copy the files if it's met, but I'm not sure to what extent you can do that with the VS MSI projects. I do know that the MSI files you create via the VS Deployment project is extremely limited compared to what the full blown MSI tech can actually do. Also there is INNO which creates exe installers and INNO is completely scripted, I've never made an installer with it, but seeing as it's scripted you could create those calculation checks during install that way. INNO is also free btw.

i guess i will have to try thta INNO :(
Or maybe some other opensource isntallers...

I remember back in the days with VS 2003 Enterprise there was some add on taht alowe me to do anything w/ sinstaller... but i dont even remmber what company was offerig it ;(

Back