Question Moon Lander

sisquo76

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

I am working on a small game, Moon Lander and I figured how to make rocket falling from the top of the panel which is on the form. I want to have fuel burning feature so I can land rocket properly on the bottom of the panel. Here is the code so far:

VB.NET:
Public Class Form1
    Dim G As Double = 9.81
    Dim T As Double = 0

Private Sub ButtonStart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ButtonStart.Click
        Me.Timer1.Enabled = True
        Me.ButtonStart.Enabled = False
    End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        Me.PictureBox1.Location = New Point(120, 0)
    End Sub

Private Function H() As Integer
        Return CInt((G * T ^ 2) / 2)
    End Function

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        T += 0.1
        Me.PictureBox1.Location = New Point(120, H)
        If H() >= 615 Then
            Me.Timer1.Enabled = False
            Me.ButtonStart.Enabled = True
            T = 0
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

If anyone knows how to burn fuel (minus the gravity) so rocket starts to slow down, and eventually stop, then rise up, I would be grateful.

Regards,

Sisquo76

It might help to not calculate your gravity like that. I beleive that the calculation that you are using is for a free fall with no other forces being applied to it. A lot of basic game physics are done by adding a certain amount of a velocity each iteration of the timer. Meaning...

VB.NET:
Public Class Form1
    Dim velocity as Double = 0
    dim const gravity as Double = 9.9

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        'Apply Gravity Force
        velocity += gravity

'Move Lander
        PictureBox1.Top += velocity
    End Sub

In order to use a throtle you need to capture when the gas button is pressed and then released. So add a variable to the form that keeps track. As an example i'm using the up arrow as the gas button.

VB.NET:
    Private Sub Form1_KeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyDown
        If e.KeyCode = Keys.Up Then
            upPressed = True
        End If
End Sub

Private Sub Form1_KeyUP(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyUP
        If e.KeyCode = Keys.Up Then
            upPressed = False
        End If
End Sub

Now we can add that upwards force the the lander.

VB.NET:
Public Class Form1
    Dim velocity as Double = 0
    dim const gravity as Double = 9.9
    Dim const throtle as double = 30

'Apply Gravity Force
        velocity += gravity

'If the gas is pressed then add an upwards force
        if upPressed then
          velocity -= throtle
        end if

'Move Lander
        PictureBox1.Top += velocity
    End Sub

Now when you first press the gas button the speed at which you fall will begin to slow down and then eventually start going up.

Back