Message Box is Blank

rstinson

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have created just a simple test application. I was trying to show a message box, which is simple, but I have a problem. The text that is supposed to be displayed in the message box is blank. I've never ran into this before. I know the code is correct. It's just a string dim strmess as string strmess is the message. I even test it by telling to output to be put into a textbox and that worked fine.

try Messagebox.Show(strMess)

the MsgBox is the old vb6 object and you're not the only one who's posted problems with it

the Messagebox is the vb.net one of which i think i've only seen 1 post on here where there was a problem with this one, so give it a try and let us know

go with his advice cos it is better to use MessageBox.Show

I'm just lazy and use MsgBox when testing :eek:

Are you by any chance using McAfee VirusScan V8 on your system? There is a known bug and a patch available from McAfee if you are.

JuggaloBrotha said:
try Messagebox.Show(strMess)

the MsgBox is the old vb6 object and you're not the only one who's posted problems with it

the Messagebox is the vb.net one of which i think i've only seen 1 post on here where there was a problem with this one, so give it a try and let us know
Actualy, MsgBox is just a wrapper function to MessageBox.... mainly for the sake of long time VB6ers that are used to MsgBox. It's part of the VisualBasic namespace (not to be confused with the VB6 compatibility namespace, which TRUELY does call the old VB6 objects), as opposed to the System namespace where MessageBox resides.

-tg

rstinson said:
I am using Vsacn 8. What's the fix? Also thanks for the other suggestions.

McAfee VScan 9.0 is the update
actually McAfee does have a $20 mailin rebate if you have 8.0 or 7.0 virus scan and for those in the USA if you buy virus scan 9 at a local officemax or staples when they have those $30 instant/mail in rebate (plus the $20 mcafee upgrade rebate) it turns out all you pay is the sales tax (and the gas to drive to the store) i do believ mcafee's only doing this upgrade rebate untill sometime in december 2005 so if you're a US citizen you can basically & legally get mcafee 9.0 for free

also i should mention that i've done this myself and they do honor all this, i only paid $3 to go from 7.0 to 9.0

TechGnome said:
Actualy, MsgBox is just a wrapper function to MessageBox.... mainly for the sake of long time VB6ers that are used to MsgBox. It's part of the VisualBasic namespace (not to be confused with the VB6 compatibility namespace, which TRUELY does call the old VB6 objects), as opposed to the System namespace where MessageBox resides.

-tg

i did not know this, thanx for the info :)

Back