mdi menus merging?

batutabunsing

Programming Experience
Beginner
Windows Forms Newbie

Hi everyone. Am pretty new in Windows programming. I have VS 2005 and VB.Net as my choice for programming.

Anyway, I want to ask some simple question regarding Windows Forms development.

1. I want to create an MDI form. Let us assume the following:

MDIParent
ChildForm1
ChildForm2
ChildForm3

MDIParent has the following menus:

Transactions
- Booking (Opens Child1 window)
- Enquiry (Opens Child2 window)
- Tickets
- Schedules

Queries
- Facility
- Activity

Reports
- Booking by Month
- Booking by Quarter
- Tickets By Month
- Tickets by Quarter

Child1 and Child3 has the following menus:
File
- Insert Record
- Close Window

Edit
- Undelete
- Refresh

View
- Sort
- Filter

Window
- Cascade
- Tile Horizontal
- Tile Vertical
- Layer

Help
- About

My question now is this:

How can I make that when I open the Child1 or Child3 windows, the menus that I have provided for the said child windows will become the menu of the MDIparent, and such that when I close it, the Menu of the MDIParent returns back to its original menu?

Another thing I noticed, since Child1 and Child3 has the same set of menus, could it be possible to simply create a common menu control which can be placed in CHild1 and Child3 so as not to repeat the same menus for the windows?

Would appreciate greatly your assistance and advise. Thanks.

MDI Window Forms Question - Newbie

Hi everyone.

Newbie here in the world of windows vb.net programming.

I am using VS2005 and framework 2.0

I have some questions and I hope someone can provide me some answers or suggestions or point me to the right direction relative to my queries.

I am trying to create an MDI application. The Parent Window has its own set of menus as well as the child windows. How would I do that when I open the child window, the menu of the child window will become the menu of the parent window form?

Like for example..

Parent Window (Menu Items)

Masters References Tables

Child Window (Menu Items)
Test Data Finalise

Now, for example I open the application, the menu for the parent window is all that appears. When I click on Masters - Child Window, then Child window now appears on the MDI container, but the menus become merged. What I want is that only the menus of the Child window should appear in the Parent window.

Ideas and suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I still got lots of questions and I would post them one by one, until the Qs i have posted are resolved. Thanks!

Back