Making a glass button?

Blake81

Programming Experience
1-3
I was in a Flash chat room and I saw buttons that looked really good. I'd love to be able to make these for my VB programs. Would someone here know how to do this? Here's the button

button.png

It looks to me like it may just fade to a gradient on top and bottom and be overlayed with a semi-transparent oval on top for the reflection. Is that it? I wouldn't know how to make the rounded rectangle shape either. Thanks.

Attachments

• NavigationControl.JPG
    NavigationControl.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 99
GDI+ Architect has really been a good tool. From looking at images of glass spheres, I could tell that they were just a gradient with a semi-transparent oval on top. I made a few more improvements to mine. Here it is now.

sphere.png

The buttons in your last post look really good. It looks like there are more shapes going on in those ones. I'll have to check out the code. Thanks for the link! :)

Edit:

I also just created this image
spheres.png

Last edited:
how would you go about specifying a semi-tranparent ellipse in vb.net?

it has me stumped, i have no clue how to go about it.

that GDI+ architect is pretty handy though! :)

adam

You set the alpha property of the fill color to anything between 0 - 255

255 being opaque, and 0 being invisible.

I figured I should post the code here for how this is made. GDI+ Architect generates the code for you. I'm not really sure why some of the code is there, but it works fine when I take some of it out. You may have to tweak this to get it to work.

VB.NET:
Public Class Untitled1
    Inherits System.ComponentModel.Component

Private Ellipse2Brush As System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush = New System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush(New System.Drawing.Rectangle(96, -4, 98, 83), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(255, 20, 30, 93), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(255, 241, 241, 241), System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientMode.Vertical)

Private Ellipse2Pen As System.Drawing.Pen = New System.Drawing.Pen(System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(0, 248, 248, 248), 1!)

Protected Ellipse2 As System.Drawing.Rectangle = New System.Drawing.Rectangle(96, -4, 98, 83)

Private Ellipse3Brush As System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush = New System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush(New System.Drawing.Rectangle(115, -4, 57, 25), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(255, 232, 233, 230), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(41, 214, 214, 214), System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientMode.Vertical)

Private Ellipse3Pen As System.Drawing.Pen = New System.Drawing.Pen(System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(0, 255, 255, 255), 1!)

Protected Ellipse3 As System.Drawing.Rectangle = New System.Drawing.Rectangle(115, -4, 57, 25)

Public Sub New()
        MyBase.New
        Me.InitializeGraphics
    End Sub

Private Sub InitializeGraphics()
        Ellipse2Pen.DashStyle = System.Drawing.Drawing2D.DashStyle.Custom
        Ellipse3Pen.DashStyle = System.Drawing.Drawing2D.DashStyle.Custom
    End Sub

Public Overridable Sub RenderGraphics(ByVal g As System.Drawing.Graphics)
        g.SmoothingMode = System.Drawing.Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.AntiAlias
        g.TextRenderingHint = System.Drawing.Text.TextRenderingHint.AntiAlias
        g.FillEllipse(Me.Ellipse2Brush, Me.Ellipse2)
        g.DrawEllipse(Me.Ellipse2Pen, Me.Ellipse2)
        g.FillEllipse(Me.Ellipse3Brush, Me.Ellipse3)
        g.DrawEllipse(Me.Ellipse3Pen, Me.Ellipse3)
    End Sub

'Required to dispose of created resources
    Private Sub DisposeGraphics()
        Me.Ellipse2Brush.Dispose
        Me.Ellipse2Pen.Dispose
        Me.Ellipse3Brush.Dispose
        Me.Ellipse3Pen.Dispose
    End Sub

Protected Overloads Overrides Sub Dispose(ByVal disposing As Boolean)
        If disposing Then
            Me.DisposeGraphics
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

In the paint event for the form, I took a lot of this out, and just did this:

VB.NET:
    Private Ellipse2Brush As System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush = New System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush(New System.Drawing.Rectangle(96, -4, 98, 83), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(255, 20, 30, 93), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(255, 241, 241, 241), System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientMode.Vertical)

Private Ellipse2Pen As System.Drawing.Pen = New System.Drawing.Pen(System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(0, 248, 248, 248), 1!)

Protected Ellipse2 As System.Drawing.Rectangle = New System.Drawing.Rectangle(96, -4, 98, 83)

Private Ellipse3Brush As System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush = New System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush(New System.Drawing.Rectangle(115, -4, 57, 25), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(255, 232, 233, 230), System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(41, 214, 214, 214), System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientMode.Vertical)

Private Ellipse3Pen As System.Drawing.Pen = New System.Drawing.Pen(System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(0, 255, 255, 255), 1!)

Protected Ellipse3 As System.Drawing.Rectangle = New System.Drawing.Rectangle(115, -4, 57, 25)

g.SmoothingMode = System.Drawing.Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.AntiAlias
        g.TextRenderingHint = System.Drawing.Text.TextRenderingHint.AntiAlias
        g.FillEllipse(Me.Ellipse2Brush, Me.Ellipse2)
        g.DrawEllipse(Me.Ellipse2Pen, Me.Ellipse2)
        g.FillEllipse(Me.Ellipse3Brush, Me.Ellipse3)
        g.DrawEllipse(Me.Ellipse3Pen, Me.Ellipse3)

By the way, I wasn't able to convert that code that vis781 gave to VB .NET, because I wasn't sure what some parts were doing. I'd love to be able to make that button though.

Back