Login Form with added dataset

DimMeAsLost

Programming Experience
1-3
All,
This is a great site with alot of information. My background is mostly Access VBA and I am having to learn VB.NET. I am trying to recreate an Access 2007 application I wrote into VB.Net. We are looking at using a hosted SQL Server so we do not have to worry about remote offices or replication. I am using VS 2008 and SS2008.

My issue is that I need to create a login form in VB that with look at SQL Server DB and return a dataset record matching the username and password. There are many tutorials on here but do not match what I am looking for.

I have a stored procedure with 2 parameters (@prmUser and @prmPassword) named spLogin.

I need to call the sp and pass the parameters to SQL Server DB and return the complete row of data that is matched from the button_click event on my form.

In Access, I would have a form that would have the returned data and I would reference that information throughout the application by using the 'forms!frmName!txtValue' to populate forms, reports, and fields that would capture the user that created the record. What is the best practice for this?

Next when the login credentials are correct then I need another form to open, which is my MDI form, if not correct then msgbox to try again.

Thank you all in advance for any help

Mark

Thank you for taking the time to explain what you have done and the reasoning behind it.

I am currently working on the coding now and cant wait to have this hurdle crossed.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Well, I have completed my changes to your code by adding the correct variable names and database column names, and then debugged. It has worked flawlessly and exactly as I need it too.

I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule and helping me. Now on to the next step. If I run into problems I will be back.

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back