Just Getting Started

Rex_Beginner

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am an AS/400 rpgle programmer. Therfore all of my 25+ years have been in the green-screen environment. I know I'm behind the curve, but I'm attempting to learn VB.Studio with VS 2005. I'm also attempting to learn Visual Basic at the same time so be gentle.:)

I'm developing a small stand alone application with a SQL Database.

If my application works, in a year or two, I may try to sell it.

My first question is this.

If I decide to sell it, what software requirements will there be to my potential customers. SQL? VB?

I appreciate any help and I'm sure there will be many questions to follow.

thanks
Rex

I am not expert, I program as a hobby.

As I understand it, other than having windows with the correct version of .net (free download from microsoft) - none. VS produces code that can be be run on any machine with windows and the correct version of the .net framework. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

One word of caution, if you can, check which version of the framework your customer is happy to use before you start. I wrote a progrm inframework 3 only to find my customer would not use it because one of his main pieces of software was not compatible with it.

Steve

If you develop for SQL Server then your users will need some version of SQL Server installed. SQL Server Express is free so that's not an issue from a cost perspective. They will also, as said, need the .NET Framework installed. You can create an installer package for your app and bundle the Framework and SQL Server Express into it.

Back