Question Issue: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Revision Number

gaims1@gmail.com

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I have a VB.net 2005 project MyProject.exe which is referring to a strong named dll ReferenceDll1.dll in its references. The ReferenceDll1.dll is referred as Specific Version=False. The version on the strong named reference ReferenceDll1.dll was 1.0.1.2 when I compiled my project. Few days later, I got updated ReferenceDll1.dll as 1.0.1.3. Replacing this dll in the install directory fires following exception.

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'ClientCommon, Version=1.0.1.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0242eaa067ef8af5' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
File name: 'ClientCommon, Version=1.0.1.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0242eaa067ef8af5'
at WindowsApplication3.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Revision Number
ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80131040). Probing terminated.

I do not want to compile the MyProject.exe when I get updated versions of ReferenceDll1.dll. Is there any way to get MyProject.exe running with updated version of ReferenceDll1.dll without compiling MyProject.exe? Also, I do not want to keep the old ReferenceDll1.dlls (like 1.0.1.2) into GAC. Please let me know if I can refer the strong named dll for above scenario? Is it possible to refer this strong named reference without referring to specific version of it?

Thanks,
Gangadhar

Latest posts

Back