Is "Build" usually only used when you are finished your project?

razz

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have been working on a project in VB 2008 for about 1 week. In order to save my work, at various stages I just click File and Save All. I was wondering when you normally click "Build" - is it usually after you are finished your project or is it best to use it more frequently than that?

I assume that you only use "Publish" when you are completely finished your project, is that correct?

Thank you guys/gals for your patience...I am just learning all this stuff and want to make sure I am doing things as per correct procedure. :)

I rarely click "build", usually only to update a control class for UI designer. The "play" button I use all the time, this rebuilds and runs the app in debugging. Nobody writes perfect code and debugging is very important, it is one of the three main functions of VS; Visual designer, Code editor/intellisense, Debugger.

You can Publish at any time and install it on your own computer to check if a deployed app will function properly (give or take).

If you have anything not saved when closing VS it ask if you want to save, this is sufficient for "saving all", you don't need to save first then close VS.

Thank you John, good to know I'm on the right track. Nearly finished my project so now I just need to figure out exactly what I need to upload to my site for others to have a successful download of my program.

Back