Is build the same as compile?

VBbeginner

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm taking a class in VB.net (using the 2005 version) but totally new to programming (and all this stuff, including forums!) The teacher won't help much and doesn't go through the basics. Very frustrating. I'm hoping someone here will post answers to basic questions I have.

1. I know how to run my programs, but not compile them. Is "Build" the same as compile?

2. I'm trying to unravel a short program that my instructor posted. In it he uses the statement "sender.BackColor = Color.Blue" I get the color.blue part but what is "sender?" I know what the statement does if I put it into a subprocedure that is called when I click on a button. It turns the backcolor blue. Just not sure what "sender" is.

I've got lots of questions, but this is good for now.

1. I know how to run my programs, but not compile them. Is "Build" the same as compile?
Essentially, Yes.

2. I'm trying to unravel a short program that my instructor posted. In it he uses the statement "sender.BackColor = Color.Blue" I get the color.blue part but what is "sender?" I know what the statement does if I put it into a subprocedure that is called when I click on a button. It turns the backcolor blue. Just not sure what "sender" is.

The Sender parameter is the object that raised the event. So in the following sub...

VB.NET:
Private Sub Button1_Click(byval sender as object, byval e as event args) Handles Button1.Click

End Sub

The Sender is button1 because it was button1 that raised the event.

Essentially, Yes.

Thanks! Okay, so that means that when I change something in my code I have to click on REBUILD before I run the program or my changes won't "take", right? Rebuilding is the same as compiling it, basically. Am I using the correct keystroke path to basically write a program, and then compile and run it?

Saving VB files

I seem to be getting totally screwed up when I try to save a form. Seems like it should be simple. When I save do I do File/Save All? This seems to save/create a number of files. What is the file icon with a little number "8" in it, versus the icon with VB in it. The VB one is the solution file, right? What's the other one. Which do I open when I simply want to open and edit a program?

The icon with the 8 is the Solution file. The eight is representative of Visual Studio 2005 being version 8 in the series. To open and edit your program, double clicking the "8 icon" (you'll notice it has a .SLN extension, if you have those on) is the easiest method.

Back