Question Installing a Windows Form on a Public Network.

jmon117

Programming Experience
1-3
By chance would it be possible to take a windows form I wrote in Visual Basic and install it to a publicly accessible folder on my network. It saves data that people input into it, so I would like everyone on the network to essentially be using the same instance of the program. Is this possible, and how would i go about doing it.

So there's no permanent storage at all?

The answer is no, it's not possible but you could have a number of instances of the program accessing a common permanent datasource. It's rather obvious why you can't have two users accessing a single program!

How would I go about setting up permanent storage? Also, is their a way I can save the current state of the form as a whole without saving each individual item? Thanks.

If you want multiple connections you'll need to set up a database (hundreds of tutorials available). If you want to save the state of a form at an individual level you can use the settings interface provided in VS (see Application Settings in VB.NET for examples) but you will need to do this per item.

Back