Information for a relational databases, viewing and saving data, explained clearly?

garyjos

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello

Correct me if I am wrong but don't virtually all VB2005 (.NET) books generally only give examples of retreiving data from a relational database and never tell you how to save modified relational data back to the various underlining tables.

In other words I have yet to see VB2005 (.NET) code which shows a clear practical example of a real life useable relational database. Most books appear to bog you down with other stuff and over complicate everything, and not show how the full workings of a relational database work.

Does anybody know of a book or any code to explain the above in a clear manner?

If only there were books out there which teached you want you want to know, need and use, all this code has been designed before, but most books seem to other complicate all area's to do with VB2005 & I would imagine ASP.NET version 2 as well.

Sorry to go on, I would however be grateful for any feedback

Thanks
Gary.

Last edited:
Please don't double post. And browse the forums to find the best suited for your request. Thank you. Moved to Books forum.

Well generaly, programming books don't (and shouldn't) care too much about the back end database... the reason for that is to prevent database specifics from getting in the way. If you want to learn more about the inner workings of the datbase engine, then get a book on the DBMS itself.

As for saving data back to the database, you've been buying the wrong books... every one I've got (they were for .NET 1.1) came with such examples. You could try following the examples in my sig for ADO.NET.... nto sure if they are what you are looking for, but it might clear some stuff up.

-tg

Books for inserting, saving, editing and retrieving data.

Hi,

The "Application Series" of books are written with specic goal of teaching :

The coding techniques for inserting, saving, editing and retrieving data. These techniques are explained using VB.Net, ASP.Net, for the SQL Server database. We would love to do it for other languages, but once you know the process and logic it is the same for all.

The domains chosen are Accounting and Inventory. When we started with the books we realized we had to _choose_ a domain, and settled for Accounting as :

1. It is the largest
2. Most widely used
3. The core module for an ERP pack

If you think this sounds reasonable, do log on to http://www.vkinfotek.com

Regards
Bhar

Back