IIS Problem

markyiu99

Programming Experience
Beginner
Dear all,

I have installed the IIS 5.1 in Windows XP Professional for appl. development and I have got some IIS problem as follows:

I create a virtual directory in IIS server for testing purpose. It has only one testing html page (index.htm) inside the virtual directory which I created called mark01.

(1) I try to type "http://localhost/mark01/index.htm" in the web browser's URL. It displayed "Page not found" (HTTP 404) even though I re-install IIS or restart IIS server.

(2) I try to type "http://localhost/" in the web browser's URL. It displayed the "Test Page for Red Hat Linux's Apache Installation". However, as I know that I do not have a Apache server installed in my PC.

Thanks and waiting for your reply soon.

Cheers,
Mark

With some network equipment such as routers and cards with firewalls Apache is installed for its web interface controllers. I experienced the same thing and looked high and low to find why Apache suddenly was running on the machine. The double firewall was causing trouble anyway so I had the suite uninstalled.

its so surprising for me ! i posted to this topic but now its disappear.
When you are not Connected to internet your default ip address is 127.0.0.1 or your use than your pc name , localhost name also !
if you tested it & see your default web server is Apache its not your routers ,firewall or other thing :)
please stop your iis server & go to start - run - type cmd
now type netstat -na , you can see result by ip & open ports
if your port 80 is open you can close it with some software like to proport :) & then start your iis & make sure its 100% way for solving ur problem

mH_p0rtal, whether local port 80 is in use or not doesn't reveal what web server is running, there is no difference between port 80 and port 80, so I don't see how what you're saying adds anything to answer the question. That is the reason your post was deleted. Now we'll leave it here, but what you say is in my opinion not related to the question asked.

Some software bundles for certain network hardware do install hidden and running Apache instances. I'm sure there exist various ways to control these instances, but opening Windows Task Manager you can look at process names and maybe find apache.exe and close it (end process).

Apache is not running as a program ! apache running as a Service ! so you can go to start - run - type msconfig & then in services tag you can disable it on ur start up windows ! also maybe some virus or maybe another program running this webserver on ur pc ! maybe its not appear on your taskmanager ;) With some API , Msconfig is also but not in Services Tag !
i said professional ways for stop this service cuz i think maybe vbdotnetforums members are pro that they are ! please let to member say some ways ! i can say 1000 ways that stoped this service but its better we say a good way ! maybe in a coffe he wants running iis but there is a apache web server runned ! then if u want go to taskmanager maybe its disabled by administrator ;) & wht do u want to do then ? command prompt is always with you or maybe u can use than secondary programs
in the end i think dear markyiu99 can chose the best or easier way
Thanks

Back