how to update data from datagrid and store back in datasorce

karthikyon

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi the following code displays the data from datasource in a datagrid....

Dim oData As New Sanega.Hospital.DataAccess.DataAccess
Dim strsql As String
strsql = " select ID,NAME,LINE_1,LINE_2,STREET,CITY,STATE,COUNTRY,ZIP,PHONE_1,PHONE_2,FAX_1,FAX_2,EMAIL,Discontinued from ENTITY_MASTER,ADDRESS_MASTER,CONTACT_MASTER,DISCONTINUED"
Dim myDataSet As DataSet
myDataSet = oData.ReturnDS(strsql, "ENTITY_MASTER")
DataGrid1.DataSource = myDataSet

I hwanted to allow editing and updating the data in datagrid and store the updated data back to the datasorce.................

Please help by sending some sample code examples.....

karthikyon :confused:

The DataGrid has nothing to do with committing changes back to the database. You're using a class named Sanega.Hospital.DataAccess.DataAccess to retrieve your data. It should have a corrsponding method to commit any changes back to the database. The DataAdapter classes have a Fill method to retrieve data and an Update method to send changes back to the database. I suggest that you read the help/MSDN topics for the class and those methods to get an understanding of how they work. There are links in my signature to tutorials that contain sections on ADO.NET.

Thank U

jmcilhinney said:
The DataGrid has nothing to do with committing changes back to the database. You're using a class named Sanega.Hospital.DataAccess.DataAccess to retrieve your data. It should have a corrsponding method to commit any changes back to the database. The DataAdapter classes have a Fill method to retrieve data and an Update method to send changes back to the database. I suggest that you read the help/MSDN topics for the class and those methods to get an understanding of how they work. There are links in my signature to tutorials that contain sections on ADO.NET.

THANK U FOR UR KIND HELP...........

KARTHIKYON

You can execute the SqlCommand to insert/update/delete records like this -

Dim myCommand As New SqlClient.SqlCommand
Dim myTrans As SqlClient.SqlTransaction
myTrans = SqlConnection1.BeginTransaction()
myCommand.Connection = SqlConnection1
myCommand.Transaction = myTrans
Try
str = "<QUERY>"
myCommand.CommandText = str
myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
myTrans.Save("Temp")
myTrans.Commit()
Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox("Error")
Finally
End Try

If you can use the DataAdapters then you can save changes to database directly by using

myDataAdapter.Update(myDataSet)

Back