Question How to Produce 'Access Type' Reports?

divjoy

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi

I am using VS 2010 express and sql server 2008 r2. I am not sure which area to post this so if you want to move feel free to do so.

I usually use ms access and have been moving to vb.net which I am enjoying. As far as i can see the only thing missing is a reports designer facility

I am looking for some way to produce a number of simple reports that users can print off, similar to the way ms access provides reports based on queries and the user can open and print.

As far as I can see there are a number of third party apps to do this but which is best and easiest to work worth?

Also can any of them be used with VS express 2010 such that the user click on a button on a form and the report opens rather than the user having to open another application atogether.

Last edited:
You should look into SQL Server Reporting Services. You might have to do a bit of mucking around as you're using VS Express, e.g. design your reports in VWD Express rather than VB Express and then import them, but it can be done.

Hi Thanks for reply....

Have no idea about SSRS or VWD Express but will check them out.

Is SSRS available in SQL SVR 2008 R2 Express?

Is SSRS available in SQL SVR 2008 R2 Express?

Yes, in the Advanced edition, but it's not necessarily required. If you want to store reports on the server then SQL Server is required. If you want to use client reports, i.e. where the report itself is part of your application, then there's no dependency on SQL Server at all. You design the reports in VS and display them in a ReportViewer control. The data can come from anywhere at all.

Note that VB Express doesn't support report creation. You have to use Visual Web Developer Express to design the reports and then import them into your VB project.

Back