Question How to make an app a "valid win program"

Selecting Build application in Build menu will have the effect of making the application compile. You would want to debug it first though, this is done by pressing the triangular 'play' button on IDE toolstrip and results in the combined actions of building it, running it and attaching the IDE debugger so you can see how everything works according to the design. Alternative to pressing 'play' is to use Debug menu option "Start debugging" or pressing F5 key. Only application project types like "Windows application" and "Console application" can be run, if you created a "Class library" then it must be debugged through an application project. Finally when the application is ready to ship you publish it with the integrated ClickOnce deployment or a Setup project.

ClickOnce is included in all VS versions, go to project properties Publish page to make configurations, shortcut to publishing is Build menu "Publish". Setup projects are only included in full VS versions, here you add a new Setup project to the solution and configure it. Use keywords like "deployment", "clickonce" and "setup" to find extended help about these topics in the documentation.

Thanks, but i think you have the wrong idea, i can get the program to run fine
but when i try to open a file like a RTF. with my program it shows and error that says my app isn't a "Valid Win32 Application" any help?

Thanks, but i think you have the wrong idea, i can get the program to run fine
I think you have given us the wrong ideas by telling us you know nothing about compilation, debugging and deployment. This is the first post you're actually saying your application does run. Normally "Valid Win32 Application" errors occur trying to run something that can't be run because it is not valid to run.

I did an internet search for "Valid Win32 Application" and it appears this is an error message for BadImageFormatException. Whether this is the problem you're facing is naturally guesswork. The only immeadiate info I could see about the BadImageFormat was this appearing when "Any CPU" assemblies were compiled on Vista x64 while using native 32-bit libraries. The solution in this case was to set the project to compile for x86 platform (32-bit) so everything was compatible.

Here's what i'm trying to do:
i have a Rich Text Box editor, and i can save a rtf. from it, but when i right click the saved file and open it with the editor, it error's and says that my program isn't a "valid win32 applcation" sorry about at the begining

It is no problem doing what you describe with a .Net application, but I have no idea why it doesn't work for you.

Back