Question How to Make a transition to VB.NET and ASP.NET

swift

Programming Experience
5-10
I would like some advice about making the transition to VB.NET and ASP.NET. I have worked a lot with VBA in Microsoft Access a few years ago and and more recently again doing ribbon customization in Word 2007. So I am familiar with basic programming methods and windows forms etc.

I am not sure exactly where to start the learning curve? My feeling is that it is better to start with the earlier technology such as ASP 2.0 and then progress to more advanced technology once I have mastered the basics? However all the ASP 2.0 .net books predate Visual Studio. So is there any point in starting there? and how would I do go about it without Visual Studio? I have the same questions with VB.Net?

Also, which version of Visual Studio express should I download, 2008 or 2010? (I'm working with Windows XP). Does the version make a difference when working with earlier stuff and using more dated books?

I would appreciate guidance where to start and which books you recommend.
Many thanks.

Transitioning

swift,

Mark Long does an amazing intro to ASP.NET 3.5 on VTC.COM (actually, all of his courses are wonderful). It'll give you a great head start. That's where I got my feet wet in this crazy programming world last year. I'm pretty sure he goes into some VB.NET in that tutorial as well. The basics are really easy to pick up in both environments. They call it Basic for a reason! As per learning VB.NET, you can try the Microsoft resources - Learn Visual Basic or if you're willing to drop $90 on a text book, Gaddis' Starting Out with Visual Basic is a pretty intro. They go into ASP.NET in that book as well.

Hope that helps!

Back