Question how to make a database?

Programming Experience
Beginner
Im about to create a databasefor my thesis but i dont know where to start to,i already check some usable sites like google but i still dont get how they connect the vb 2010 to ms 2007. There's a video that ive watch that very simple but when he make the video the visual basic is already connected to the MS Access, ive follow all the steps but it seems the connection of my vb to my database(MS Access) is missing. :numbness:

There are various data access technologies available to you. You can use raw ADO.NET if you like, which means using members of the System.Data.OleDb namespace for an Access database. For code examples, check out this thread:

Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases

Those examples are for SQL Server but using Access is almost exactly the same. You simply substitute OleDb types for the corresponding SqlClient types, e.g. OleDbConnection for SqlConnection. You can visit www.connectionstrings.com to get the appropriate connection string format.

There are other technologies that sit on top of ADO.NET and abstract away some of the details. They make your life easier in many ways but, if you don't understand what's going on under the hood, it can be hard to fix issues that may arise. One such technology is typed DataSets. You can use the Data Source Wizard in VS to generate a typed DataSet. It provides extensions and wrappers for standard ADO.NET types that are customised to your data. That means, for instance, that you don't have to use "magic strings" to refer to tables and columns in your database because the wizard adds properties and methods specific to your database schema. As such, you'll get help from Intellisense while you write your code.

You can go a step further again and use an object-relational mapper (ORM). One such tool is the Entity Framework (EF), which is also built into VS as well. It provides even simpler access to your data and great power, but can be confusing to the beginner.

You might consider following the Data Walkthroughs link in my signature. It provides various examples that will, amongst other things, demonstrate typed DataSets and EF.

thanks, ill be reviewing your reply. ill be posting for more question soon. This forum is so helpful, a lot of thanks to you guys.:cocksure:

Back