How to hide the graphics on the parent MDI form when the child opens with its text

n2005

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have a parent MDI from with graphics and text. When the child opens within this parent the child form text is hidden by the parent form graphics and text. I have played with opacity and other properties but can't get it to work. Has anyone ran into this problem, and can suggest something?

Thanks

When you say graphics do you mean an imagebox loaded jpg etc. or are you drawing with GDI+ or something else? With an Imagebox you could just hide it. With GDI+ you could draw to an Image and use an imagebox, and then you could then hide that.

TPM

I have the picturebox and few other items like groupbox and labels on the parent form. The child form labels and textboxes are hidden by the parent form elements. How do I hide each of the elements on the parent form when the child form open up? I am new to VB.Net so just can't do it with the properties box (on the lower right side of VB.Net window).

You could put it all in a panel and hide that when you load the child. You could also try child.bringtofront, not sure if that'll bring in infront of the parent though, never tried it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem I was having with hiding the parent elements was that I had to redo the hiding once the child was minimized or closed. It was cumbersome to track those states of multiple child elements and then set the property of the parent's elements. What I did was - I put all the graphic + content of the parent into a separate form which was not MDI and then it was easy to hide/show just the form.

Those were very helpful ideas!

Back