Question How to FTP upload a file to a subdirectory?

lovepanda

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

I am using the below code to upload a file to FTP server.
It will hit error 'The remote server returned an error: (550) File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).' when i try to FTP to subdirectory. no problem directly ftp to the root directory.
Can anyone help to advise how to FTP to a sub directory? or suggest a free ftp class?
Thanks a lot.

Dim clsRequest As System.Net.FtpWebRequest = DirectCast(System.Net.WebRequest.Create("ftp://" & FTPHost & "/" & sFileName), System.Net.FtpWebRequest)
clsRequest.Credentials =
New System.Net.NetworkCredential(FTPID, FTPPW)
clsRequest.Method = System.Net.WebRequestMethods.Ftp.UploadFile
clsRequest.UsePassive =
False
clsRequest.Method = System.Net.WebRequestMethods.Ftp.UploadFile
clsRequest.UsePassive =
False
For Each File In files
sFileName = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(File.ToString)

Dim bFile() As Byte = System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(LocalFilePath & "\" & sFileName)
Dim clsStream As System.IO.Stream = clsRequest.GetRequestStream()
clsStream.Write(bFile, 0, bFile.Length)
clsStream.Close()
clsStream.Dispose()
Next

My.Computer.Network.UploadFile is simpler to use than FtpWebRequest class for such default operation.
Log in with any Ftp client that has a user interface and see how it looks in there, make sure you have the folder structure right. The .Net FTP tools is no different than using any other FTP client in that regard.

Hi,
With My.Computer.Network.UploadFile , i can only upload file to the root folder. when i try to upload a file to a subdirectory, i will get The remote server returned an error: (550) File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).
i can upload the file to the sub directory with same Id and password via external FTP client.Any ideas? Thanks.

That means directory you are trying to upload to don't exist, either because you haven't created it and expect the Upload method to so for you (which it doesn't) or that you are not specifying the correct path.
To create a Ftp directory programmatically you have to use the FtpWebRequest class and set Method to value WebRequestMethods.Ftp.MakeDirectory.

Back