How to display names of mdi children form been viewed on status bar

PRAISE PHS

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All,
Pls help me out with this issue:

In my app, I have 6 mdi children forms on tool strip buttons that are docked at the top of my mdi parent form. I then docked a status bar with a status label at the buttom of my parent form. How do I do program the app such that whenever any form is displayed on my parent form, the name of such child form should be displayed on my status bar for the user. Also, if I have multiple children forms displayed on my parent form, the name of the top most form should be shown on my status bar. If I also decide to close the top most form, the name of next top most form should be displayed on status bar. Finally, if there are no form(s) displayed on the parent window, the name of the parent window should be shown on my status bar. Thanks and I would really appreciate a prompt response.

Use MdiChildActivate event and get ActiveMdiChild property.

Show me how you would set up an event handler for MdiChildActivate event.

Show me how you would set up an event handler for MdiChildActivate event.

My code below actually changes the status bar label to the text property of each windows forms. But, I want the app to work as I've stated in my first post. Pls, kindly help.

VB.NET:
Private Sub mdiParent_MdiChildActivate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.MdiChildActivate
        Try

If ToolStripButtonProducts.Selected = Enabled Then
                ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "PRODUCTS"

ElseIf ToolStripButtonStockIn.Selected = Enabled Then
                ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "STOCK-IN DETAILS"

ElseIf ToolStripButtonStockOut.Selected = True Then
                ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "STOCK-OUT DETAILS"

Else
                ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "APPLICATION EXPLORER"
            End If

Catch ex As Exception
MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
End Try
End Sub

So you know how to use MdiChildActivate event, and you know how to set StatusLabel.Text.
As you've read the documentation for ActiveMdiChild property, you know that it returns Nothing when there is no active MDI child.
Now get rid of all the code in event handler and instead set your StatusLabel.Text conditionally to ActiveMdiChild.Name or Me.Name.

Back