How to check the Idle time of Windows application

Shaila

Programming Experience
1-3
I want to check if my application is being used or not. If my application is not used for say 10 mins, i need to lock my application. My application is developed in VB.NET. Is there any way to check the status (Active/Inactive) of windows based application.

Thanks in advance..

VB.NET:
Private Declare Function GetLastInputInfo Lib "user32.dll" (ByRef plii As LASTINPUTINFO) As Int32

<StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)> _
Private Structure LASTINPUTINFO

cbSize As Int32
dwTime As Int32

End Structure

Those are the API's you will need. I havent used them myself but basically dwtime is the count since the last mouse or keyboard interaction.

As per the code mentioned by u, dwTime will change even when there is a mouse/key board movement done on any other file. But i want to check, only my application status. I might be doing some thing else on my machine, but i might not be using my application. In that case i need to lock my application.

The code mentioned by you will be useful..if i need to lock my computer itself.

Please do let me know if there is any other way of handling this problem..

In that case you this by implementing the IMessageFilter interface to listen to messages that are specific to your applications message loop. I haven't got the time to check into the windows messages you wil need. But basically a timer needs to start when your application stops recieving the WM_KEYDOWN and WM_MOUSE messages. When the timer reaches the 10 minutes lock the application. There is also i believe a function in Kernal32.dll that can get a tick count, you could use that instead of a custom timer.

Thanx a lot..This worked for me...I implemented IMessageFilter interface and wrote my logic in PreFilterMessage method.

Back