how to auto generate record ID?

ssfftt

Programming Experience
1-3
[solved]how to auto generate record ID?

I just learnt how to use "Data form wizard" in VB.NET, on the form, it asks for an ID (which is one of the columns of my User table) as well as values for other columns when adding new record. In real world, user wont have idea on inputing an ID.I have a User table in my SQL db, when and have a form for new user registratin. instead of asking user for the userID, i'd like the application generate an user ID automatically for the new user while uploading user details into database.can anyone help me on this and be more specific in code?thanks

Last edited:
The reason for doing this isn't that this way is more efficient, faster or safer. It's setting you up for decouplization. In a perfect world, the form shouldn't have any data processing/CRUD code in it. It should be GUI and GUI only.

done, that was great help from u, I got hips of questions (if u'd like to see them as my problems). if u still free, i will be posting another one in a minute :)

I can't tell you everything. I'm not even halfway to mastering the language. I'll watch for the posts, but can't promise anything.

Also, do some research on your own a bit. When people tell you to do that, they're not trying to brush you off on someone else. One of the attributes programmers need to have is being able to know what they're looking for. Sometimes it takes 2 hours of google searches before you find it, but you learn ALOT on the way there.

Back