Question How much memory

Jeff Whittle 2

Programming Experience
10+
I'm looking at porting a Fortran application to VB.NET.

Depending on the input data, the application can create very big arrays totalling a gigabyte or three, and we run it on 64-bit machines.

Is there any inherent software limit to the size of an individual array or to the total the memory available to VB.NET?

I don't think you understand the concept of memory, so i'll try to help you out here :)

Is there any inherent software limit to the size of an individual array or to the total the memory available to VB.NET?

There's no software limit, or limit available to VB.NET. VB.NET is just a language, if you're talking about Visual Studio, it also depends on how much memory you have available to your current system. Heap memory is a much larger pool than the stack, and the stack is usually limited, but allocations to the stack come with a bit of a gain in performance when it's needed so it's not all entirely useful. With the heap, it all depends on how much RAM you have available to your system. There is no limit in comparison to the concept of arrays itself, in any shape or form, and it depends on much larger conditions that are outside of the control of your running program.

Back