Help with project

scuba2dan

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hey all,

I am completely new to VB, so i hope i'm writing this in the right section.

I'll start from what im tryting to do.

I am doing some volunteer work for a UK national trust location.

What they have asked me to do is create a "interactive" information program.

This is a bit like a book or a powerpoint for history.

so a user can click on say "about Henry the 8th" and it will then take them to a page.

The reason i cannot use power point is that we are using a touch screen computer to display the info and so;

the user cannot:

be allowed to exit the program
be allowed minimise or change the window size

The program must also reset it's self after some time back to the main menu.

Is this something i can achive in visual basic?

What i have done so far;

I have been able to prevent the exit/maxi/mini buttons from being used and the screen starting maximised.

If anyone could give me some hints as how i would start this project (with displaying the information) it would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks,

Dan

i was hoping that the text could just be in a text box within the program, i could even turn a powerpoint slide into a photo file (jpg/gif/png).

unfortuantly i have no experience with VB, so forgive my ignorance.

does the information need to be linked/imported from another source?

if you're not planning any fancy animations or link with information databases, it shouldn't be difficult to do it...
you must set the windows properties corretly:
FormBorderStyle = None
WindowsState = Maximized
that way your program is already running full screen.

now it's kinda of creating a lot of forms. each one with the information the user must see. Use Labels and Images to display the info and Buttons for the user to touch and navigate to a different form by closing the current form and opening a different one.

I suggest you give a look on WPF application cause they have extra visual gimmicks to make the app look nice.

U can able to Make the values of MaximizeBox and Minimize box as False by making use of the Properties window of the form control... The Window state property also have to made as Maximized.... First you have to design two form such as one for inerction with the user another for dealing with powerpoint.. You can able to load the powerpoint at desing time itself... In that form, you can make use of timer control, with apporiate time in milliseconds you can able to make to form to be switch over to the first form....... I think, this is somewat useful to you....

Back