Help With Help

sirmilt

Programming Experience
1-3
I am using VB 2005 Express edition and can't get any help from "Help".

When I click on the Help button and select a subject I get the following message:

"You have chosen to use local Help only for Search and F1 results, and the topic could not be found in local Help."

This is followed by several "solutions" to the problem I tried them all, and none worked. I reinstalled VB (using the "repair/Reinstall') installation to no avail.

Is there anything that someone can suggest other then completely uninstalling and then reinstalling which is my next option?

I am not sure how much help you are going to find in the express edition you may be limited to online resources which I have found to be far more helpful anyways. Possibly the local help is limited in the express edition. So whatever your problems is, look for help online or consider getting the full version with the library. Other than that I am not sure if this problem is actually a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried to set the Help to search local first and get the message, I have set the option to seach on line first and get the same error. I have Vb express at home and at work. At home it works fine.

I'm lost.

You did download and install MSDN Express in the first place? Check with Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs", "Microsoft MSDN 20005 Express Edition" is listed separately (the VB 2005 Express setup repair dialog also tell you this). I think you also could see it in Help Tools Options the Online tab should list "Local Help" as one of the provider options.

Thanks for the reply. I previouslydid download and run using the "Repair" option. This didn't work.

I (reluctantly) uninstalled the program and then downloaded and did a full install, and this did solve the problem.

Back