Help with forbidden socket Error

J. Scott Elblein

Programming Experience
10+
Hello all

I am getting an err when attempting to connect to a web page. It seems the main error is this one:

An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.

The full error returned is below in the code tags. Can someone help shed some light on how to fix this? If it helps, I am using VS2K5 in Vista. Thanks!

VB.NET:
Error During Download: System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request, IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBitsResponseCallback(IAsyncResult result)
Error During Download: System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request, IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBitsResponseCallback(IAsyncResult result)

Hi

If you go to this post, there is an example that a guy uploaded. I am using that and looking at the inner exception.

Here

I just noticed that I am getting the same error in 2 different apps now as well. One is the WoWAceUpdater, which is also using the system.net namespace, and utorrent (the bittorrent client). In Utorrent there is a status thing under the tracker url, where it is saying that.

So I am figuring I have something wrong with my system, but don't know how to fix it. It is also odd that I can still browse the web with all browsers, check email, use Trillian, and a few other things?

Case solved. I was running the trial version of Zonealarm 7.1 and it recently expired.

I registered it and now everything works again. :mad:

Really lame how ZA screws up your computer to encourage registrations.

Back