Question Error when installing application

rkotowski

Programming Experience
10+
I am not an expert in using vb.net, but I am trying to make my vb.net project accessible to others. I've done it before (about 5 years ago) with another program. This program is basically the same just for a different product line for us. I have all the files on a server. I published everything to a directory on the server...the directory is in the same spot as the other directory. I checked all of my project properties and have now made sure they are the same as my other project. The publishing works fine. But, when I try to run the setup.exe or the .application file, I an error message that pulls up a log file. I've looked all over and found similar log files, but no solution that seemed to work. Here is what the log file is telling me. Any help would be great. I am thinking it is something simple...remember I am not an expert. And, I know I got the other one to work a few years ago when I moved it from visual basic 6.0 to vb.net. I am using Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition to work with my project.

Thanks

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 2.0.50727.3634
System.Deployment.dll : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
mscorwks.dll : 2.0.50727.3634 (GDR.050727-3600)
dfdll.dll : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
dfshim.dll : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)
SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///Y:/CadQuote/CustServ/Moldbase Files/Moldbase.application
Deployment Provider url : http://isxp2/Moldbase/Moldbase.application
ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of Y:\CadQuote\CustServ\Moldbase Files\Moldbase.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://isxp2/Moldbase/Moldbase.application did not succeed.
+ Unable to connect to the remote server
+ No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 129.1.3.38:80
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.
WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.
OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [6/14/2012 9:39:28 AM] : Activation of Y:\CadQuote\CustServ\Moldbase Files\Moldbase.application has started.
ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [6/14/2012 9:39:30 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://isxp2/Moldbase/Moldbase.application did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifest(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ManifestType manifestType, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.FollowDeploymentProviderUri(SubscriptionStore subStore, AssemblyManifest& deployment, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- Unable to connect to the remote server
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
- No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 129.1.3.38:80
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

To aid the discussion hopefully, I tried the setup.exe from a different computer than mine (isxp2 in the log file). As you can see below, the log file looks pretty similar. The thing I don't like (and I am not sure about) is the fact that the deployment provider url is http://isxp2/Moldbase/Moldbase.application. This is still my computer and I don't have any of the files on my computer at all. I've tried to research Deployment Provider url yesterday and today and I haven't really found a good explanation of it or where that setting comes from. I can see why my computer is basically rejecting the install since my computer doesn't have any of the install files or any files at all on it.

When I run my other program's setup.exe file and it works, is there a similar log file that gets created that I can look at? I would like to see what that one looks like in comparison. I have compared the two programs so much the last day and a half, but I just can't figure out what the difference is. Again, any help would be great.

SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///Q:/Moldbase%20Files/Moldbase.application
Deployment Provider url : http://isxp2/Moldbase/Moldbase.application
ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of Q:\Moldbase Files\Moldbase.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://isxp2/Moldbase/Moldbase.application did not succeed.
+ Unable to connect to the remote server
+ No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 129.1.3.38:80

I figured it out. It was sort of simple. Under publish, I had to click on this application is available offline as well. Then, the Updates button was no longer grayed out. Within Application Updates screen, I had to delete the Update location. Then, I saved out. Then, I went back to the Application is available online only...which grayed out the Updates again...just like the other project. I assumed (never good) that since the Updates button was grayed out on my functional project that I didn't need to go in there on this project. Something simple like I figured. But, I am good to go now.

Back