HELP:Moving directories/files across domains

andyAndVb

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi, I'm very new to .NET so bear(?) with me.

In my simple .NET windows application I want to move a folder/directory from one location to another.

When I use the directory.move method, I get an error saying the two locations are in different volumes. What does volume refer to? Is it because they're on different domains? Does that mean the move method can never be used across volumes?

When I use the scripting filesystemobject I get an error saying username is not found, or bad password. This makes sense as the location I want to move folder to does require a login, as its on a different domain. But, as far as I understand, the filesystemobject doesn't have access to any security settings live the .net classes?

I'm totally lost, any, any help?

move across Volumes

You can't go across volumes on a director.move or file.move. The volume is considered to be the C drive or what ever drive the location you are copying from is considered. So if you call a file.move you can't it throws a error. Unfortunitly I am having the same problem so I can't help you with that. If I find anything I will let you know.

A volume is any logical data storage entity such as a partition on a hard disk. If directory.move is not working try directory.copy to see if you get the same error. If the Target volume is on another computer on a network then you may have to edit the application permissions in the framework configuration panel. If the target volume is on a different network segment, then you may need to talk to the network admin, to see if he has blocked you from writes to that segement.

Back