Having trouble using GetProcesses(string) with remote computers

JuggaloBrotha

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
posted from the 'archive':
thegame724:
I am writing a program to monitor processes on remote computers in a network. I am using

Process.GetProcesses(remotecomputername) to get the processes from the remote computer. Now, for some of the computers on the network, it lists the processes without any problems. For other computers, however, I get the following error:

System.InvalidOperationException: Couldn't get process information from remote machine --->
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is Denied.

I have the remote computers listed in a ComboBox, and when the user picks one, it either lists the processes, or returns this error. If anyone has any suggestions, or any ideas how to fix this error, please let me know. Thanks.
i've got a question on this one too... how does one go about adding all the other computer name's on the network to a combobox or a listbox? i know how to get the local machine's name, but i dont know how to obtian the names of all the remote machines :(

If the computers that aren't working are running Windows XP, you have to turn off Simple File Sharing in order for that to work.

If they are computers other than Windows XP, make sure you have the proper credentials to access RPC services on that computer. You would have to have a valid Username and password on the local machine as well as belong to the administrators group.

KT

i see the admin access stuff, but user accounts dont matter in this case. is there a way to have vb check the network workgroup that the current computer is on, and get a list of all the computer's in that workgroup? i dont actually need to connect wit another computer, just the name's and put em in a combobox. also... these are all winxp systems too.

Back