Good books for learning VB.net and PLC communications

lenz0799

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

I've used VB extensivley in the past but have never stepped up to VB.net. I'm looking for a couple good books to get me up to date on VB.net and help out with a project I'm taking on for work. I'm going to be creating a program to monitor multiple cyclotrons which already have established PLC's, one uses siemens, one uses allen bradley(multiple machines installed over 30 years so many different PLC models) so I will end up having to interface with different types of PLC's.

If anyone knows of some good books that would cover these topics in-depth I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I doubt you will manage to find a book that will cover this. My suggestion would be to search for manufacturer-specific .NET to PLC examples on the internet.

There are lots of tricks that I have found as I have written HMI to PLC software - and unfortunately, a lot of it comes down to "write it, try it, improve it, keep improving it" etc etc.

Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 : The Language
By Francesco Balena

That book sounds outdated, but 99% still applies since .NET works in accumulating upgrades. That has been an invaluable book to read and keep close by.

You may also want to check out the open source project AdvancedHMI. All done in .NET a very good platform to start with when developing HMIs in .NET

Back