Getting permission to write to HKCU in Win7?

ikantspelwurdz

Programming Experience
1-3
Here's a drilled-down version of what I'm trying to do.

VB.NET:
Module Module1

Sub Main()
        Dim regType As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind = Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind.String
        Dim regKey As String = "SOFTWARE\FOO\BAR"
        Dim newKey As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey

Try
            newKey = My.Computer.Registry.LocalMachine.CreateSubKey(regKey)
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message)
        End Try

End Sub

End Module

On Windows XP, this works fine. On my Windows 7 64 machine, if I simply run the executable normally, it throws an exception - something along the lines that access to HKCU\SOFTWARE\FOO\BAR is denied. I'm typing this from my XP machine so I don't have the exact message at the moment, but that is the gist of it.

Now, if I run the executable in administrator mode, then it works fine. The intuitive explanation is that writing to HKCU requires elevated privileges. But I've run Steam on the Win7 machine, and I'm pretty sure Steam writes to HKCU without needing elevated privileges. Just running it while logged in as an admin is enough. So, is it possible for me to write a program that creates keys in HKCU too, without needing the user to manually invoke admin mode?

Whoops. I just realized my code actually tries to write to HKLM. That would explain my problem. Someone let me know if it doesn't, or if there's a way around it.

Back