Generating Crystal reports Monthly in Vb.net :How To?

Fishzn

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi Guys

I've been working on my final year project at university for quite a while now. Its been going great up until the point i had to generate reports. You see in the set of requirements we've made, we've stated that we will generate and print reports, based on various things, at the end of every month, week or day. Heres a requirement so you guys know what i'm talking about:

Generate and print a daily report, at the end of every day, of what products where completed and what products were left unfinished.

The problem is i have little to no idea on how to implement it. I've been doing some research but have come up with no conclusive idea on how to go about doing this. So could someone please give me a starting point on how to achieve this. Do i do this with a background thread or with a windows service? Or is it done using a stored procedure or sql commands.
Anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated. Even a few links or pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks
Brendan

Presumably, you have collected the data on the products in some datatable/dataset? Information detailing what is completed and what is not and when it was done (data/time field). You are most likely going to pass a startdate and an enddate parameter to a crystal report. You will use those date parameters in your record selection formula to generate either daily, weekly, or monthly reports.

Research: Date manipulation, passing parameters/variables to crystal reports, and record selection formulas.

Hope that helps...

I read this post again, would it be possible to have a stand alone report application and just set up a scheduled task in windows to run the app at the appropriate time?

Perhaps research scheduled tasks in VB.

Last edited:
Back