FtpWebRequest SSL through proxy

Geoff

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello, Is there a way to send a file with the FtpWebRequest class with EnableSSL set to true, through a proxy? It works fine without EnableSSL set, but I'm having no luck otherwise.

I haven't had much luck looking through MSDN or google.

Thanks,
Geoff

You can simply forget about this. I've spent a week strugglling with the same problem and finally i came with almost nothing.
No matter what you will end up with code that works with very few websites. In 99% of the cases the code will simply throw an exception.
It seems like a bug in the FtpWebRequest class. I even contacted M$ staff for this question. bull***t i assure you.
Regards :)

Hello, Is there a way to send a file with the FtpWebRequest class with EnableSSL set to true, through a proxy?
What error do you get? Is the below documentation quote relevant for you?
If the Proxy property is set, either directly or in a configuration file, communications with the FTP server are made through the specified proxy. If the specified proxy is an HTTP proxy, only the DownloadFile, ListDirectory, and ListDirectoryDetails commands are supported.
In 99% of the cases the code will simply throw an exception.
My tests show it works in 50% of the cases, but I only tested 4 servers :) Did you fail with so many additional servers in your week?

My tests show it works in 50% of the cases, but I only tested 4 servers :) Did you fail with so many additional servers in your week?

Yes, i tested it on differenet servers and i was able to make it working with only one server plus the one you sent me credentials for. Means two out of about 20. Very bad result hah? lol :)

Also remember FTP is one of the oldest application protocols on the internet from the seventies. The Security extensions didn't arrive until around ten years ago. There are probably many FTP servers out there that haven't implemented these yet, also many that are capable but don't see the need to enable them, and again some perhaps implemented but disabled for anonymous access. The one you asked about earlier for example stated in documentation that it only had "experimental support for encryption of the control channel" and none for the data channel.

That is a very explicit and definite message. Sounds strange to me, though, because I thought proxies only forwarded messages between the endpoints and that this shouldn't affect SSL authentication. But I don't know enough about this to say for sure, I also don't have a proxy to do such tests through yet.

Back