Font help please.

force

Programming Experience
3-5
I can't seem to get any controls (label, textbox, dropdownlist) to display japanese characters. I have the japanese fonts installed (MS Gothic for one), change the control's font to MS Gothic, put the character code in the text field and all I see is garbage. For example, "Ÿ…" is the shift-JIS code for the kanji meaning "spirited". I even tried the unicode code. It works fine in vb6. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I should also mention I'm running WindowsXP.

Thanks.

MS Gothic is not only Japanese font and i guess you want to use japanese keyboard layout instead font. So, go to control panel and through "Regional and language option" dialog set the language to japanese (if it's not there click advanced Tab and check 10001 (MAC - Japanese)).

Also "Save As" the form in unicode UTF-8 code. This should work ... feel free to ask for more help if you need ... Cheers ;)

Last edited:
After installing the Microsoft Japanese Language Pack (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=24a66277-cd9f-4332-a6f1-52b85a6470bd&displayLang=en), MS Gothic is a Japanese font.

I don't want to input Japanese characters through the keyboard. I want to just be able to display the characters correctly in the text property of a control.

In VB 6 this is done by installing the language pack, putting a control on a form, setting the control's font to the new MS Gothic, and entering the shift-JIS code for any given Japanese character in the text property. This will display the appropiate character in the control, instead of strange ascii characters as in the above example ("Ÿ…" ).

However, this does not seem to work in VB .net

Hi Force,

Try using the Arial Unicode(supports many languages) or MS PMincho(dedicately supports Japanese). And as it is you only need to display the Japanese characters then in that case both of them shall suffice your need.

Small Advice: MS PMincho is less heavy....
Arial Unicode is easily available.

And ya...VB.NET is extreamly good for Unicode support.

Regards,
Vishal

Well, I managed to get it to work using the Japanese MS Gothic, UTF-8 instead of SHIFT-JIS, and ChrW().

Thanks for the help guys!

Back