File Directories Installation Flexibility

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
My problem is the school who wants to buy my application, had a problem today on installing it. I had hard-coded the location of the databases in my app like "C:/MYAPP/customer.mdb". But they installed it in "Program Files/MYApp/customer.mdb" so it bombed out. A long time ago I saw another thread here that had an answer that would allow me NOT to hard-code the path in my app but somehow pick up the path from the user when he runs the installation. Back then I didn't see how important it was. Can someone re-paste that answer.

Thank you for your time

JohnM

More feedback

The Tech Person at the school got back to me today. Since I had hard-coded the directory to the databases in my application, he duplicated the path on his PC's so the application doesn't bomb out on that cause. He did try to run the application remotely from his computer from his office in another building. When he did, the screen locked and application disappeared.
I guess this is what someone had warned about in one of the threads, that .net doesn't work in a remote environment.

John M

Back