File created on server but not opening on client using IE if file size > 4mb

thenewguy

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have some code that generates a pdf file on the server and then opens the pdf in the browser via some window.open javascript. The pdf will open, regardless of filesize, in chrome & firefox. In IE (I've tried 8 & 9), if the file is > than about 4mb or so the file never opens...and I don't seem to get an error message on the client side. Any thoughts as to what the issue might be? I've run in to the same issue with file formats other than pdf.

A simple thing that could fix it is to set the default PDF reader to the ?Reader? app provided in Windows 8, 8.1 or any other third-party PDF reader of your choice. This will solve the problem.
But if it doesn?t, then you can try this registry fix to solve up this issue:

1. Press Windows Key + R , type Regedt32.exe in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

3. In the right pane of this location, navigate to TabProcGrowth named DWORD. This DWORD actually is short from of Tab Process Growth; which sets the rate at which IE creates New Tab processes.
If you?ll find the DWORD there, it must having the Value data as 0. If you don?t find it there, create it manually using Right click -> New -> DWORD Value. Now click DWORD to modify its Value data.

4. Now set the Value data from 0 to 1. Click OK. This will ensures that all tabs for a given frame process run in a single tab process for a given mandatory integrity level (MIC) level.
You may now close the Registry Editor and reboot to see the results.

Back