Favorites without baseurl

rctaubert

Programming Experience
10+
I have so many IE Favorites it is getting hard to find the right one when I need it. I have an application in mind to sort all this out. However, I am finding that all the links stored in the Favorites directories (and sub-dirs) do not have a baseurl keyword inbedded in them. If you right-click the link and click properties you can find it there.

Does anyone know how to programmatically access the properties of the Favorites links using vb.net???

I just tried it your way. I got the same results - the HTML of the page the url is refering to. I would not think notepad would be smart enough to actually follow the URL and open the page so I am not sure what is going on.

Never the less, the recommendation of JohnH and VIS781 would apply here.

Keep in mind that you can add to the url file if you choose so long as you keep the [InternetShortcut] and the URL line intact. So for example, you could add to that some form of sync identifier so that you could keep track of which url has been synced to another system, into the database, etc.

Anyhow, I have learned something new about IE favorites because of your post. Thanks.

Charles

favorites without baseurl

I tried using WordPad and MS Word.

In WordPad, if I use File...Open, I get the same results as with Notepad.

In MS Word, if I use File...Open, Word acutally shows the web page.

If I drop the file on either Wordpad or Word, I get what appears to be a picture box with the name of the file in it.

So, I guess if the file is anything out of the ordinary, I had better try to open it in multiple ways.

My thanks to you, Charles, JohnH and Vis781 for your help in resolving this issue.

By the way, of the 3082 files I have in Favorites, 2613 have the keyword BASEURL=, 3081 have the keyword URL=. Now I just have to find that 3082nd file and see what makes it different. Might just be easier to delete it.

Thanks again.

'Desktop.ini' in Favorites root path. Remember you only handle .url files, so any other files are not problematic.

favorites without baseurl

Sorry, I was being facetious. The search was only for .url files so there is one that does not have either url= or baseurl=. I will deal with it later.

Another thought on the word processer issue. Using File...Open all three did act in a similar fashion, sort of. Notepad and WordPad are not smart enough to show the web page as Word did but they did show the code that creates the web page. So I believe all three were trying to open the link, not the acutal .url file.

As for Drag-and-Drop; both WordPad and Word showed what I believe to be a picture box with the title of the file in it. NotePad does not do graphics of any sort so it showed the acutal contents of the file.

Again, thanks to all.

Back