Failed to access IIS metabase

Heppen

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi there,

I've an webapplic made under framework 1.0. now we switched to visual studio.net 2005 and i compiled the old webapplication to framework 2.0 on my developers machine everythings works fine. When I installed framework 2.0 on the webserver and placed the new compiled 2.0 version of my webapplic i get the following error:

Server Error in '/zipwww' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to access IIS metabase.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.
The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.
Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
Stack Trace:

[HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapPathCaching(String siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492186
System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.System.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385695
System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRuntimeConfig(VirtualPath path) +189

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

I searched on the net and found some things but nothings helps...
* I tried to give my asp.net account on the webserver full controll over the metabase.bin
* i tried aspnet_regiis -i
* aspnet_regiis -ga
* aspnet_regiis -ir
* add my asp.net account to the administrators group

but all this without any result....

the webserver is a Windows 2000 server machine with sp 4 installed

please help me

Jan

Hi,

Please try:

aspnet_regiis -iru

...this is helping to reinstall the ASP.NET 2.0 into your webserver. I did try those instruction given by http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904 but seems very complicated and i also feel that it's leading to the wrong direction also.. I have been trying -ga but nothing works.

I tried Giadich's suggestion also install / reinstall / remove etc... but at the end.. i was saved by -iru. I repeatedly doing on a few servers having such problem..and it works. :D

Honestly, I dunno what causes this problem.. There are alot of different kinds of saying. Some says, I install IIS before .NET Framework 2.0 .. Others, like Giadich said.. .NET Framework corrupted.. and i heard from some expert saying that it might possible cause by the change of user acc. :confused: (I dun remember i like changing user account thingy...) Well if anyone know the cause of it please share... so that I know how to prevent it...

Thanks!!

Back