Factoring of Polynomials

dasmin5

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am about to try and write a program that factor polynomials and I needed some direction on how to begin because that is what I am a beginner. Does anyone know of any thing similar to this that I might could reflect on?

I want it to:
Factor Trinomials
Factor Perfect Square Trinomials
Factor sums and Differences of cubes
Factor Polynomial Equations
Solve Applications

Thanks

First I assume you need algebra help and not programming help. If that is not the case, let me know (excuse the exponents that are not written in superscript).
A. A Trinomial is of the form
(ax+by+c)(dx+ey+f)=adx2+(ae+bd)xy+bey2+(cd+fa)x+(ce+fb)y+cf
by equating the coefficients of each term x2,y2,x,y etc, we obtain six equations for six unknowns (a,b,c,d,e,f) from which it can be solved by the computer.
B. A perfect square trinomial would look like above, with a=d,b=e and c=f.
Thus the equations reduce to three unknowns.
C. (x3-y3)=(x-y)(x2+xy+y2)
As far as I know, x3+y3 has no factors with real integral coefficients.
D. I wish I knew a general solution to factoring polynomial equations that can be applied to be solved by the computers. If you look up some sites on algebra, perhaps you might get more insight to the question.
Finally, for SPECIFIC questions on math, you could post it at the following site called MathEnLigne (Online math).
http://www.forum.math.ulg.ac.be/
Very qualified people are waiting to answer specific math questions. There are retired math profs, engineers, etc who are glad to help you.
This Belgian site operates in French, but they seem to be pleased to answer in English if the request was in English.

Factoring of polynomials

I actually want to try and write a program that will do this; I know this is probably a complex project; but I want to see if I have learned anything in my first C++ programming class that I am currently taking. I want to do this on my own so first I think I have to write an Algorithm for my specifications? And then work from there.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. There was an error in my reply for which I should make a correction:
x3+y3 HAS factors:
x3+y3=(x+y)(x2-xy+y2)
Which flavour of C++ with which you are doing your project? Visual C++ or others?
Good luck with your project, and write anytime.

Back