execute stored procedure with one inputted parameter.

slybitz

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have a field where the user inputs a certain number. Then the user will click the button below the field to take the inputted number as a parameter and execute a stored procedure that uses the parameter as an input value. I already have the stored procedure working fine through SQL Server. I just don't know how to take this inputted value and use it as a stored procedure and execute the stored procedure. I'm not going to return any recordset. I just want to execute the procedure and perhaps say "complete" when it's executed. Below is what I have so far but I think it is far from correct for some reason. txtTranNo is the field where the user inputs the number. I know you can use this method if you know what the input param already is by replacing txtTranNo with the param but I'm not sure how to incorporate the value that the user inputs. Any suggestions/tutorials/code samples? Thanks for your time and help!! It's greatly appreciated.

VB.NET:
[size=2][/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Protected[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Sub[/color][/size][size=2] ResetPO_Click([/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]ByVal[/color][/size][size=2] sender [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] System.Object, [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]ByVal[/color][/size][size=2] e [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] System.EventArgs)[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Handles[/color][/size][size=2] ResetPO.Click

[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Dim[/color][/size][size=2] sConnStr [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]String[/color][/size][size=2] = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=sa;Password=xxxxx;Initial Catalog=AFD;Data Source=LONGS;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=QUZ0970;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False"

[/size][size=2][color=#008000]

[/color][/size][size=2][/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Dim[/color][/size][size=2] cn [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]New[/color][/size][size=2] SqlConnection(sConnStr)

[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Dim[/color][/size][size=2] cmd [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]New[/color][/size][size=2] SqlCommand("sFRT_FreightResetPO", cn)

cmd.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure

cmd.Parameters.Add([/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]New[/color][/size][size=2] SqlParameter("@TranNo", Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 30))

cmd.Parameters("@TranNo").Value = [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Me[/color][/size][size=2].txtTranNo

cn.Open()

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

cn.Close()

[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]End[/color][/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Sub

[/color][/size]

Actualy, you aaaaalmost had it.... you were off by only 5 characters....

Try this:
VB.NET:
cmd.Parameters("@TranNo").Value = Me.txtTranNo[b][color=red].Text[/color][/b]

That's the only thing I can see that is missing. The rest of it (w/o seeing the SP itself) looks good to me.

Tg

Wow that's awesome! Thanks! I'm used to using VBA for access forms where it would be me.xxx.value and figured it would be similar but I had no idea what it actually was. I appreciate your help.

Back