Executable files and their icons

ilyail3

Programming Experience
1-3
can I get the icon from *.exe file like windows dose when you build a shortcut?

When you create a setup project you can tell each shortcut it creates what icon to use. If you have set a program icon for a project, this will be available to be set as the shortcut icon for the executable within the setup project. Any icon other than the program icon must be added as a resource. VS.NET comes with a build-it-yourself project to create resource files. Check the help topic "Creating and Editing Resource Files with ResEditor" for details. Once you've built the executable you can add it to the Tools menu by selecting Tools | External Tools...

I hope I've understood your question correctly.

for example I wan't to build a project wich look like windows exploler only that when you open a shorcut the program close itself. I want the shortcuts file to have the icon of the *.exe file.

I don't know for sure, but I'm going to take a guess and say that there isn't a way to do this with .NET. I'd bet that there would be a way to do it with Win32, though, so you might be able to get some help from experienced C++ programmers. You can then incorporate a call to the Win32 API in your .NET app.

a vb.net application stores the icon(s) in the exe (and dll's) file just like all other win16 and higher application's icon(s) are stored

Back