Error with Web.config files

Juwar

Programming Experience
1-3
Hey guys,

Have another problem. I posted a thread on how I can secure my member pages. It was suggested that I create a folder then place all my member pages in this folder, create a web config and deny users.

I've done this and when I tried to access one of the member pages I got the error message:

Configuration Error

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 37: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.Line 38: -->Line 39: <authentication mode="Forms"> Line 40: Line 41: <forms name="RG_Puzzles" loginUrl="index.aspx"/>[/font]

I went looking on the web and got info on how to configure the folder as a web application in IIS. The steps were fairly easy. I've done what was instructed, yet I still keep getting this message. So I don't know what else could be causing this problem.

Please Help!!

Thanks

Are you putting your member pages as well as the second config file in a separate directory. Remember, one config file is for the whole application and the second one in the secure members only part should only have authorization in it. The second web config file should look like below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Back