error "the Size property has an invalid size of 0"

hopeful

Programming Experience
10+
I have noticed this error appearing a lot on the web so I thought I would share my experience.

I am getting it from an SQLCommand and I suspect that it is related to an output parameter. In my case I suspect that it is because the data type for my parameter is not set properly, and the REASON for this is that I am relying on a call to SQLDataReader.GetSchemaTable which is returning the WRONG data type for an identity column. The column is a long integer in the database, but according to the schema table returned by ADO it is a byte (tinyint). I suspect this is the ultimate reason for the problem.

I will update this if I find out more, otherwise I hope the above may help others.

Problem solved!

It turns out the actual problem was that the identity column was a tinyint in SQL Server, but MS Access was showing it as a long. To cut a long story short this caused the SQLCommand output parameter to have a DBType of String rather than Byte, and this then caused the "the Size property has an invalid size of 0".

The lesson I have learned from this is not to trust MS Access linked table data types (which I should have already known!), and that if I get the "size of 0" error again I will look closely at the SQLCommand parameter data type and the type of the value being returned.

String would probably have worked, as the driver for the database can probably convert a byte to a string without an error, but specifying the size of an output parameter as 0 would likely be an error (and its only applicable to string as far as I know)

Back