Error Message

divjoy

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I am getting this error message, I am using vb.net 2010 express with ms sql server 2008 r2

Can anyone advise whats going on please

error1.JPG

I can't give you a fix. Someting in your app is trying to read, or more probably, write into the part of memory that Windows reserved for itself at startup.
Users are not allowed to mess with OS tables, lists, queues, stacks, etc.
Might you have a size or location problem ?

Thanks jimmajsterski,

I am using datasets and connections which I believe I am disposing of properly, but not doing anything to to memory directly...

Hi,

I've moved that line of code to the Form Load event.

Its was in a Button click event within the try catch block

Since moving it to the Form Load the problem has gone away, but I would still like to understand what happened.

Was it the reisizing of the form or was the error somewhere else?

I'll test some more and let you know....

I want to chime in here, but what kind of a project are you working on that has 17 forms?
And why isn't a single one of them properly named?

Hi JuggaloBrotha,

Thanks for your interest, its basically a client and staff database with facility to record work/activity between clients and staff...

I haven't got around to renaming the forms yet, I know what they do so haven't thought about renaming them yet.

If I were to name they would be called something
Log On, Main Menu, Show All Clients, Show All Staff, Edit Client, Edit Staff, Show Work, Edit Work, Reports, Upload Data, UserDialogFrm, Search Form...

I could reuse some of the form but that would mean changing labels, it seems easier to have a separate form...

What would you do?

Usually when I create a new project I'll rename the form shortly after, whenever I add a new form I'll give it a new name right away (in the create form dialog box) so it gets created with a meaningful name. If I need a new form that basically does what one of the projects existing forms already does, then I'll opt to tweak the existing one rather than creating a whole new one, but that's not a strict rule for me because if the existing form needs to have a lot of things changed on it to become dual/multi-purposed then I'll just create a new form (or make a copy of the existing one into a new form), I do that to make testing easier. These are just things I personally do, but giving forms (and controls on the forms) meaningful names is a must, you'd be surprised at how much of those details you forget after not working on it for 6 months (or longer).

Access violation exceptions almost always indicates either a virus or faulty hardware. Or some corruption in system files. I would just reformat and run stress tests to see if it still happens. If it does it's a hardware problem.

Back