error handling in VB.net

FadetoBlack

Programming Experience
Beginner
Just need help with this program
This is to declare a single dimension array of size 10 and write an error handling (try ..catch) in case the user attempts to access a non existent array element. I can do this without the try catch exception .can u guys help me out in this .Thnks

Its not a homework ,Im learning .Net by myself so the trouble .Its a single dimensional array .I used the conditional statement and the code is posted below .
VB.NET:
Try
           If i <= 10 Then
               MsgBox(a(i))
           End If

Catch myex As IndexOutOfRangeException
           MsgBox("Array element Not found")

End Try

IF you check the index against the array.UpperBound and array.LowerBound (it may still be lbound and ubound)... then there's no need for the error handler. Just let the user know that an invalid index has been entered.

-tg

yea but i think he is more or less asking why he can't seem to catch the error...which is a good question for beginners like me so maybe someone can post his fixed code :p so I may learn how to catch them as well

He's not getting an error because it won't happen because he's checking for it... right here: If i <= 10 Then ....

In my opinion (and I'm sure I'm alone in this) is that you should attempt to VALIDATE the data FIRST before trying to do anything with it. It's a bad idea (again, IMO) to use error handling as a data validation tool. In .NET exceptions are expensive in time and memory and stack. It's a bad practice that is all too common. It's what I call defensive programing... you're expecting errors to happen and so you defend against them. What should be done is what I call Offensive programming, where you actively prevent the errors from happening in the first place. (yes, I realize that there is a wikipedia entry on this, and yes, my definitions on this are backwards from what's there, but it's a matter of semantice I won't get into.)

Exception handling should really only be fore those extreme situations.

-tg

Jab said:
yea but i think he is more or less asking why he can't seem to catch the error...which is a good question for beginners like me so maybe someone can post his fixed code :p so I may learn how to catch them as well

Assuming a is of string type:

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Private[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Function[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] RetrieveArrayData([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] index [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Integer[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]String
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][INDENT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Try
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][INDENT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Return[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] (a(index))
[/INDENT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Catch[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] ex [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] IndexOutOfRangeException
[INDENT]MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Return[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"Index ouf of range"
[/INDENT][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Try
[/INDENT][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Function
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

This code will fire an exemption, but as TechGnome mentionned it's a better practice to test your array bounds rather than use Try/Catch when you have total control on your datas.

However when you connect to a server you should use Try/Catch, because datas your are trying to modify could be locked by another user or your server could be inaccessible for some time.

ok i got it , was very simple.Thnks jab and btw i had to use exception cos this was one of the condition given in the question .Anyway thx a lot

Back