Question Environment Setup required for Beginner

nikeman77

Programming Experience
Beginner
Dear All,

My very first post. I decide to pick up vb.net.

Cut the story short, besides editor, what are the environment I need to setup to run locally as a non-commercial use (@ Home to basically). Eg: IIS, Web Server.

I dont own any server at home, just a lap top and broad band connection.

Also anyone like to share any related books with tutorials for dummy like me please?

Regards, nikeman

If you want to build Windows apps then all you need is VB Express. If you want to build web apps then all you need is Visual Web Developer Express. If you want a database then you will probably want to install SQL Server Express too. That's it.

If you want to build Windows apps then all you need is VB Express. If you want to build web apps then all you need is Visual Web Developer Express. If you want a database then you will probably want to install SQL Server Express too. That's it.

Hi jm,

Thanks for replying, for SQL Server Express, there's 32 bit and 64 bit which one should I download as I am running on windows 7.

Hi jm,

Thanks for replying, for SQL Server Express, there's 32 bit and 64 bit which one should I download as I am running on windows 7.

It doesn't matter whether you're running Windows 7 or not. It matters whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

Hi Josh,

Thanks, does the books includes tutorials for practises?

Regards, nike

Yes, in the 2005 version the whole book was basically a tutorial on a word processor/editor, so it will give you very practical examples, etc.

Hi jm,

To see your system type, go into System in Control Panel (or click WinLogo key + Pause) and find "System Type" it should say either "32-bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System".

Hi jm,

The VB/VWD Express installers has Sql Server as optional install element and will take care of this automatically.

Back