encoding change for Greeks!

jmjyiannis

Programming Experience
Beginner
please Help me!!!!!

I need to have Greek encoding in a vb project which stores strings (nvarchar) and textareas (ntext) in SQL database. Although I have solved the problem with the collation of Greeks in DB, the VB.NET converts the input content to latin encoding. for example, the Greek 'Δ' is converted to 'D'.

Which is ,if it exists, the encoding method for the label.text or textarea.value in order to change the encoding of the content from Latin to Greek before sending it to SQL?????????

Thank you in advance!

If i understand well your question you want to translate say "delta" to "d" which is not trivial work as it looks like on first sight. However you should declare as many vars as letters are in Greek alphabet and add a proper values in order to make a replacement before proceed that to DB. For instance, Dim delta as Char = "d". Later you would make a function that is checking certain char and replace with appropriate character.

Btw, why you don't allow unicode character to be stored into DB as it is or you maybe have something else behind ...???

Regards ;)

Hi and thank you for your support kulrom.
I don't want to try something like the function which you describe because I think that as you can see here (http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/getWR/steps/wrg_codepage.mspx#EFAA)

the modification of the encoding of a VB page might be easier than you say. But I don't know exactly how to change it (for example wich which syntax - Encoding enc = Encoding.GetEncoding(1252))

:confused: :confused:

Particularly, I have an online html editor (like this one for the replies) and the input language is intented to be Greek. When you add content in the textarea or the text box, the content which is sent to the DB is converted by the VB page to Latin. you see.....:)

Back