Resolved Duplicate Windows Form Application as ASP.NET Web Forms Site?

jcardana

Old to VB6, New to VB.NET
Programming Experience
Beginner
I made a Windows Form Application demonstrating some of my video editing skills, a "video portfolio".

Am I correct to believe I can make the same thing on my website using ASP.NET Web Forms Site?

Thank you for your time,
Joe

It depends on what you mean by "the same thing". You can do a lot on the web of what you can do on Windows these days but there are still a number of limitations. There's also a big difference between the client/server nature of web applications and the all-in-one nature of Windows applications. Web Forms is intended to hide some of that difference but, as someone who came from Windows Forms myself, I always found Web Forms to feel quite unnatural and I much prefer MVC for the web.

You can probably build an equivalent application but whether everything is possible and how much you'll need to change depends on specifics. Also, if you have or were to separate your Wiondows application into projects for presentation, i.e. the UI, and another for business logic, then you will be able to use the same business logic DLL in both applications, making maintenance easier.

It depends on what you mean by "the same thing". You can do a lot on the web of what you can do on Windows these days but there are still a number of limitations.
Yeah, I was using a label as the video title for the user to click on to play the video. Now I'm using a button. Not a big deal.

Back